Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Foods that make my mouth salivate (Warning: a very long post that may or may not make you salivate too.)

Yesterday, as I was waiting for the bus to arrive, my mouth suddenly went upside down and at the same time my stomach began to churn and grumble, when I heard these two people talking about their favorite Chinese food. Yes, I can get exaggerated when food is talked about

I absolutely love Chinese food. It's actually one of my favorite cuisines. Everytime my family gets together and goes on a Chinese food trip, I'm always there. If there's someone celebrating his or her birthday at a Chinese resto, I'm always there.



Chinese cuisine

My favorite Chinese restaurant here in Sea-Town is Fushen located around North City way near Lake Forest Park. They serve authentic and delicious Chinese food, they have a restaurant ambience that I would like to describe as being "plain and simple" and your clothes won't smell like stir-fry or fish fry once you exit your way out of it. No other Chinese restaurants compare to Fushen, seriously, whenever I eat at other Chinese joints, I always end up saying that Fushen is still the best Chinese restaurant there is.

Here's my "all-time" favorites in the Fushen menu:

1. Steamed Sea Bass - The fish and the sauce that comes with it is absolutely to die for. I honestly don't know what ingredients it consists, but who cares about ingredients right?? As long as it makes my stomach and my mouth happy, then I'm happy with whatever is in it.

2. Lobster in Oyster Sauce - Another yummy treat in the menu, it's quite expensive though since the weight of the lobster is taken to account in the pricing, but I tell you, it's worth your $$.


Talking about Chinese food makes me want to talk about my other favorite cuisines, read on if your bored:

Japanese -

Sushi, sashimi, and tempura are the main Japanese food that I love. I don't know, I guess my stomach yearns for raw food and cook food all at the same time. It's a good thing that I haven't had any traumatizing experience after dining out of a Japanese restaurant.



sushi


sashimi


tempura

The Japanese restaurant that I always tend to go to is Susumu: Japanese Steakhouse. I always go there with my sister, since we both love how the sushi tastes there and we both think that it's the best sushi place in town even though we haven't really gone to any other sushi places.

The restaurant is divided into two parts: one part is big enough for big parties to dine in with sushi and teppanyaki as their main course and they can also watch a Teppanyaki chef work his magic with the ordered food on a big hot iron plate. You can find the sushi bar and the bar in the smaller part of the restaurant where small parties can enjoy sushi orders and small portions of the menu.

Here are my favorites in the Susumu menu:

1. Cajun roll - consists of salmon, scallops, hot chili oil, mayo and shrimp. This roll is for the spicy fanatics out there.

2. Sashimi deluxe - consists of a variety of sliced raw fishes such as tuna, salmon, bass, octopus, and the others I can't remember.

3. Tempura Dinner - if you love Tempura, then this is the menu item for you.

Visit the
Susumu website to see pictures of the Teppanyaki and Sushi chef at work and also to see what's on there menu.

Italian -

I have a strong penchant for pasta marinara for my red sauce and carbonara and white clam for my white sauce.


By far, the Italian restaurant that I enjoyed dining in is Joe's, located in Agapita, Los Banos, Laguna (in front of the National High School)in PI. The restaurant certainly has an Italian feel to it, because once you enter, you would hear Italian music playing in the background and you will see lots of pictures and memorabilia of Italy in it. In addition, foods that are originated in Italy are also displayed.

The restaurant serves their food fresh that's why it tastes so delicious and they have yummy appetizers too, just try the spicy calamari. They also serve pastries and bread.

The only drawback to this restaurant is that it takes time for them to serve your ordered meal since they cook their food fresh. My suggestion to you is that don't go in this restaurant with an empty stomach or else by the time you get your food, your hunger has already passed.

Next time your in Los Banos, try to ordering this in the resto's menu:

1. Cheesy Bacon Linguine - cheesy and creamy and yummy

2. Spicy Calamari - squid is good, the sauce is better.


RIBS AND STEAK -

Ever since I was a kid, I always loved to eat meat. Baby back ribs and marinated T-bone steak are my likes. The only drawback to this kind of food is that you feel awful whenever you see people promoting vegetarianism on TV or in magazines or even in the cyber world because they show (and tell) you how cows and pigs and goats and chickens are put to death (i think that's their mode of convincing you to be a vegetarian instead of a meat person).

Filipino -

I'm writing about this last because it's genre of food that is closest to my heart (dramatic, I know.)

My FIip menu -

1. ISAW and PROVEN (flour covered chicken) - I first learned eating isaw through my friends, they practically forced me to eat pig/chicken intestines. har har har.. but I gotta say after my first try, I came back wanting more of it. (GROSS, I know, but some people say it's good for you, others say it's bad if you eat it from the streets, either way I don't really care, as long as it is cook and I don't see it RAW, I'm good with it. )


2. Sinigang (sour broth) na fish/baboy/manok/beef - I love sour food. 'Nuff said.



3. Chicken soup with noodles or SOPAS - good for the rainy season or if your sick.



4. Bulalo (meat soup with bones that have edible bone marrow in it) - YES, I have a strong liking for animal internal organs. But admit it, you also make the "bone marrow" as ulam too!



5. Tinolang manok (chicken soup) - I love chicken. 'NUFF SAID.

Next time I'm gonna talk about my favorite desserts.. CIAO!

No comments: