Thursday, October 07, 2004

Computers: Is it an advantage or a disadvantage?

Computers have given people like me ways to communicate in a cheaper and faster way to loved ones across the country and across the globe. I can talk to my friends and family through the voice chatting and/or video conferencing features in Yahoo or MSN instant messenger and send e-mails that can be received within a minute in x amount of hours and only pay five dollars every month. But there’s always a downside to everything that is fast and cheap: computers experience “melt-downs” such as “pauses” or hangs and also a down internet connection.

Computers also paved the way for “online” everything, which means, you can shop online, pay your bills online, file your tax forms online, book a flight online, and research online and so on. The only drawback to this advancement is that you have to worry about how secure such online services are.

Students like me see the computer as an alternative learning environment. It helps me unleash my creative side when I design a webpage. It makes me self reliant when I’m in an online class. It also gives me thousands of information that could help me get through my everyday life. Of course, like any other environments, computers have the power to influence a student’s way. It replaces studying with online gaming, chatting and surfing and it also limits them from doing physical activity such as house chores and exercising.

Has computer become an advantage or a disadvantage? We can never really tell which way the computers have geared our lives to. We can only tell what it has done for and against us.

No comments: