Saturday, June 05, 2004

Photography-Biochemistry-Biotechnology-PreMed

Fastweb.com sent me an email today concerning a new scholarship, a BOWLING scholarship, that might interest me. I looked at the specs and just by looking at it I know that I can't apply for it since they're looking for a bowler who has an average of 175 points. I laughed when I saw that average score since I can't even get my score upto 90 much more to 175 points!!

Anyway just before I entered the scholarship website, I saw this ad print about AI (Art Institute), asking me if I wanted to know more information about their Photography program. Sadly, I can't give any information about me to them since they're asking "when I'm going to apply for a school year at their school", so I just moved on to the real scholarship page.

Dayymmm.. I'm still not sure if Biochemistry is the major that I want to pursue. Although the sciences concepts can be a bit of a challeng to learn sometimes, it can also be interesting at times. I also like laboratory sessions. What I don't like about the major is that I still have to take 3 quarters of Calculus. MORE MATH!!! I don't know how math comes into play in this major. I know that in Biology you need some sort of background in statistics, since MENDELIAN Genetics has some probability issues going on in it. I don't know. Maybe I should stop complaining and just go with the flow huh? I chose this major so I have to either accept the fact that it has Math or I could just shift to a major that requires no Calculus at all.

OK, moving on. I'm suppose to study today and tomorrow. Since it's finals week next week. I only have two finals to worry about, so that's a bit comforting to know. Sort of. Anyway I'll end this know before I bore you guys out with more of my rantings.

CIAO!

5 comments:

SlySquirrel said...

Well here I am, again, sticking my nose in business that doesn't belong to me. Basically what you described is one of my nightmares. I hated chemistry, I was bad at bio and both combined is like my super nemesis. But if you can dig it you should definitely go for it. Some people can totally get into the subjects and do well even if it is a challenge. I'm more of the slacker I don't like to look at numbers type of guy. Not that I was bad at it but I was always just lazy about numbers and theorems and the such. Always took too much effort.

Gail T. said...

i used to think i'd major in biochem too. i realized a ba in biology suits my goals and interests better. biochem does require 3 quarters of calc. and a lot more chem classes. i was a bs bio major but shifted to ba when i realized it is not as flexible. since i've decided to minor in chem and creative writing, i needed more class space. :) the only math i'll be taking is stats, with which i'm almost done. i sure hope that's enough for the UW School of Medicine. I'm taking Molecular Bio and the Biochem series. And lots of fun bio and english classes. All in all, I'm quite happy. As for you, do what suits your goals and interests. That way, you won't regret anything! God bless on the coming decision-filled year.

Liane said...

Gail-- just curious, is there a BA in BIOCHEM??

Liane said...

Sly - Yeah, sometimes Math can be a really high maintenance subject. Everything builds on to something... that's why sometimes I just give up studying it..

Gail T. said...

as far as i know, wlang BA biochem sa spu. there's no getting around the calculus requirement.

take a look at the '03-'04 SPU undergraduate catalog regarding biochemistry:

http://www.spu.edu/acad/20034Catalog/CAStoEngineering.pdf

Scroll down to Chemistry and Biochemistry Department. BS Biochem is on page 106 (of the catalog) with its general requirements. Descriptions of the classes are on pages 107-108.