Saturday, April 02, 2005

Trippin'

I seldom watch TV anymore. The only time that I watch TV is if The OC or One Tree Hill is on, no more beyond that.

I stopped watching TV for two reasons: (1) I've become a certified computer nerd, and (2) There are too many reality shows in every channel that I look at.

Today, as I was eating lunch, I channeled my tv to MTV. The station was showing a season finale of "The Ashlee Simpson" show, I decided to watch it since I (sometimes) enjoy watching the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

After the show, another reality tvs came on. It was titled "Trippin'". It was produced and starred by Cameron Diaz, one of the most highly paid actors in Hollywood. At first, I thought it was going to be another one of those 'celebrity life' reality shows. But then, as the intro credits rolled in, she introduced it as a show that will show countries, which she and a group of her personal friends will travel into, that are environmentally endangered.

Here's the show's taglines:

Cameron Diaz and a group of her close, personal friends think globally and act globally too as they travel to unlikely getaways...from Chile to Yellowstone, on a quest to safeguard the environment. No Hotel, no Pilates instructors...they will pack their own bags and carry them into the wild.

The show got me interested because I myself have become interested in travelling, but truth be told, I was only interested in the words "travelling to see" not in the words, "travelling for a cause/reason". But after watching one episode of that show, I started to think about "travelling for a reason".

We usually read or hear stories about people who travel into "third world" countries to see what's going on in the culture, environment, or lifestyle of those countries and when they come back home, they have this new sense of thinking or well being caused by observing and experiencing first hand what the lifestyle of such countries have. They start to think that the dramas that they go through in life is nothing compared to the people in those countries. I, myself, have heard a number of stories and each time I hear them, they never fail to inspire me.

As you scroll through the right pane of this blog, you will see a list of websites of the countries I would like to travel into "when I grow up". If you go through that list, you will see that they are countries that are travelled by many because of their richness of "places to see". I'm starting to contemplate of adding another list of countries, countries that are less fortunate in the realm of "places to see" but more fortunate in the realm of culture, diversity and people who considers -technology and city life- as unfamiliar territory to them.

Richmond Beach Saltwater Park
Richmond Beach Saltwater Park

After I took this picture, I thought it was a photograph gone bad. But when I uploaded it, I thought of it as a painting. HEH.

No comments: