Monday, January 09, 2006

English 211 is REALLY getting on my nerves

English 211
The Supernatural and the Magical in Medieval & Renaissance Literature

I registered for this class with the idea of me learning about Medieval and Renaissance Lit that has something to do with the supernatural world (and because supernatural facts sort of amuses me). But, as I am reading through the course packet that the instructor made us buy --- may I repeat, for $27 --- I was a bit irked by the first 5 stories that I've read in it. Their theme was mostly about LOVE. ICK.

Today, I just got finished reading the first quarter of "Yvain" by Chretien de Troyes (pronounced in a "French" manner) and to be frank, and also exaggerated, I was about to throw up as I was reading the last few bits of that reading.

"For a person in love is ill at ease and never able to sleep soundly, but all night long counts up and reckons the days as they come and go. Do you know how lovers behave? They keep account of the time and season."

Here's another one..

"Those who truly love don't steal hearts away, though they are called thieves by some who go about practising decit in love without knowing anything at all about it. The lover takes his beloved's heart in a way that is not thef: rather he guards it from being stolen from her by thieves in the guise of honest men. These are hypocritical thieves and traitors, competing in the theft of hearts to which they are indifferent; but the loveer, wherever he may go, treasures the heart and brings it back again"

and another...

"for there is no lover who is not imprisoned: she is right to call him a prisoner, since anyone who loves is truly in prison"

Oh good gosh. What is so supernatural about that? Magical it is, but what is supernatural about it?

IS this God's way of telling me not to be too cynical about ♥ issues? Is this His way of telling me that I should learn to open up to what the true meaning of Love is? Is this His way of telling me that Love is not all about pretentions and superficiality?

God, Is this your way? Is this class your way?

Hmm.. I think I'm gonna find out the answer to that question at the end of this quarter.

I'm officially a Chemistry Major now. By the time that I'm finished, I shall have a BS in Chemistry (ACS Certified) degree on my belt. Whoopee!!

My goal for the rest of my college career: I WILL GRADUATE WITH A DEGREE IN CHEMISTRY... and there is no way that I'm gonna let hardships and challenges screw that goal up. I have God on my side. What more can I ask for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aahh...last fall quarter, i took two classes of my own choosing. i had my own expectations and found myself disappointed. i hope that as the quarter progressess, you will love it.

God Bless this quarter.

Anonymous said...

hoy pwet! guess who i am! =) im the oracle damn right! hahaha! wut's the kwento??? yiheee!