Thursday, July 14, 2005

Thin, Thinner, Thinnest

(Note: Forgive me if there is any bias-ness in this entry. I'm not discriminating people. I'm just writing about my own experiences. )

What is it with people's viewpoints on thin people?

I have had my fair share of reactions and looks whenever I meet people for the first time. I know that once they shake my hand, they look at me from head to toe and I see it in their eyes that look, that certain look, that says, "damn, this girl's anorexic". A bit generalized I know, but that's just how I think of such.


I had a fair share of banters about me being thin. However, I only accept them from people that are really closely associated to me like my family and some of my close friends. It doesn't really bother me when my family does it to me since I can do it to them as well since most of them are thin too and as for my close friends, I'm just really that close to them that I rarely get mad at them for teasing me. But when a complete and total stranger or an acquaintance does it to me, I just go bizerk. I don't know the reason for it, but I just do.

I guess what really gets to me is when people comment (subtly or blatantly) on how I can't do things such as heavy lifting. Once, while I was carrying a heavy box towards a car, this guy friend of my mom just out of the blue blurted out, "ako na magbuhat nan, baka mabali buto mo". WTF was that? In split-second he just ruined my day. Why? Because (1) this is a guy whom I am not closely associated with, and (2) this is a guy who doesn't even know who I really am.

Another is when I play sports. Ok, so I may be thin and I may look like I can't throw a ball high up in the air or I can't get the ball go above the net. But for crying out loud, give me some credit or even just the benefit of a doubt. First of all, I don't play sports that much but when I do I usually do it for fun (Heck, I make fun of myself if I shoot an airball from the free throw line). Also, I don't get a lot of practice playing sports, therefore, when I play, I may not be the player who can throw far, serve hard, hit hard or shoot hard.

I've faced a lot of challenges regarding my physique and most of them I've been able to cope up with or I would rather say, I got through them with the help of CONFIDENCE

Being thin does not mean that I'm a wimp who can't do stuff that people with average physique does.

And for people who just loves to stare and judge secretly: How about getting to know me before you judge me? And by the way, just so you know, I have a strong dog who weighs more than me, whom I wrestle and push around all the time. JUST SO YOU KNOW.

No comments: