Sunday, September 05, 2004

4 ambitions in 1 lifetime: a futuristic view of my Life

I'm a pediatrician/scientist who specializes in oncology/hematology field. I make rounds at the Children's Hospital near UW when I need to and hold clinic hours at UW Clinic. When I have finished all my routines at the hospital and the clinic, I go to Fred Hutchinson Research
Center to oversee what's happening on the research I proposed doing.

Whenever I'm free, I put my photographic skills to test or I write an article for my column in the Seattle Times. I'm about to start working on a novel temporarily entitled, "A Memoir: Getting over one of life's greatest challenges". Above all else that I do, I still find time to shop for myself and cook food for myself and thank God for the energy and the determination that keeps me going.


Outlets – Not just for the happy and sad, but also for the mad.

When you’re pissed or angry at someone or something, its either you confront them or you just lay low from them until the time you know your anger has subsided. But what do you do during the span of your "fury" time? Do you snap at every person you encounter? Do you smash all the things in your bedroom? Or do you go to a bar and drink until you get drunk? These three attempts to release you anger out in the open can only be described in one word, RISKY. I would have to admit that I have done two of the things that I’ve mentioned, but like I said, doing them can be a bit risky. In fact, after you have done any of those attempts to let loose the anger, guilt instantaneously follows.

Learning from experience, I decided to pour out my anger/fury into a much safer way. The last time I was really pissed off was last July of this year. I won’t give any details of the said dramatic event, but I will recount how I released the fury inside me. I wrote. I wrote down what I felt then, I wrote down what the person did that made me so furious. (See the July Blog archive and look at the July 20 entry). I must say that writing about it has done a great job in calming my nerves down.

The way that you could just go on and type endlessly about your repertoire on your computer is a good substitute to a blabbing mouth. Also, you have done a favor to a best friend because you have spared them the agony of hearing "rage against the machine". Writing is just like blabbing, the only difference is that your pen or your hands is the one doing the action, not your mouth.

Here are no-risk "I want to pour out my anger" attempts:

1. Listen to music. Rock, alternative, and hip-hop are the best choices. Nix the slow jams.

2. Surf the net. The Internet is a great place to find humorous things that will help ease your anger.

3. Design a web page. You could use your anger as an inspiration on a page layout and design.

4. Shopping. Not for the "I’m a shopaholic and I have some anger issues" type of person, but seriously, retail therapy is a good way to calm your nerves down.

5. Basketball. Creative visualization: Picture the ball as the person or the thing to which you are mad at.

6. Writing. Do I need to explain this again?

There are a lot of other "outlets" out there. It’s all up to you to choose what suits you best. Just remember that snapping, destroying and getting drunk aren’t really "outlets", they’re just merely attempts to ease the anger for a really short period of time.


No comments: