Thursday, December 11, 2008

Values

You have a patient who is vehemently opposed to you because of your race, religion or sexual orientation. How will you handle this situation?

I will handle this situation with patience and understanding. If the patient strongly prefers another doctor of a different race, religion or sexual orientation I will gladly follow the patient's wishes. However, before doing so, I will remind the patient that I am just as capable as the others even though my skin or my orientation is different. I will let him/her know that I will not stop caring for them and that I will do my very best to make them feel better. 


I have never encountered any racial/religious attacks in the 7 years that I have lived here. I never once felt that I was looked down upon because of the color of my skin or not once did anyone made me feel stupid because I have a slight accent in my language. 

The way I was brought up was certainly different from the way children are raised here. I have a different set of values and I have stood by most of them up till this day. I have had a discussion with an interviewer once about what my opinion was about sex and sex education -- because part of the job entails talking about these issues. During that time that she asked me, I have taken a class about sexual education at the U that have open my eyes to some parts that were rather "constricted" from me before. I informed the interviewer about my beliefs and I assured her that I have an open mind when it comes to these kind of sensitive issues. 
 
I am thankful that I am lucky to not experience any kind of racial attacks. I honestly would not know how I would react when a day comes that I experience it. One things for sure, I have learned enough from school and from the world how to react. 

No comments: